Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Wait Loss Program

I can remember back to the first time I competed for a body building contest...21 years ago...half my life ago...





...over a period of 6 months...I went from my 'Sherman Tank' weight of 265 pounds...down to 210 pounds...

...that's 55 pounds for those who are bad at subtraction.





...because I was with myself every minute of every day I should have been the one who was able to see the biggest changes...but alas...growth in any direction is very undetectable...because is it is so gradual.





Sure I saw changes...slowly I began to see definition where before it had been absent...
... I discovered that I had a six pack hidden under the area where my keg used to be...
...but it didn't suddenly chisel itself into my mid-area...slowly...gradually...





But the real change was noticed by people who hadn't seen me in months...to them... they noticed huge changes...





I can still remember sitting in the audience of the body building contest...waiting for my turn to go up on stage...I was sitting with a few buddies...suddenly another friend I used to work out with was standing by our seats, looking past me, to a buddy beside me...and they started chatting...





...my friend who was standing was totally ignoring my existence...so finally I said, "hey Darryl", and when I did so his eyes grew wide with astonishment...he wasn't talking to me because he hadn't recognized me with all my lost weight.





It had been months since he had seen me...and the changes were so huge that he didn't even know who I was...until I actually told him.

With all this said...I believe that we need to be very careful about what we might deem as "small choices" or "insignificant decisions" in our lives.

A married couple may decide to start doing more and more...[small choices] activities a part from one another...until finally...years later...much gradual...small growth...equals...

...a couple of strangers with no common interests...because the last of their common interest just moved out of the house to go to University or to get a job.

A man might decide that he is going to throw himself into his work...just for a bit [small choice]...and the years fly by...he never throws himself out of his work because with his increased paycheck comes the increased spending...and life goes by...his relationship with his wife and kids becomes more and more distant...

...twenty years later does he even remember what he used to be like...

May we all be careful of the small choices in life...added with years of growth...they can amount to much good...or much sadness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home