Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Seeing the Future?

Here is the question...

...can God see into the future...because He is above time...

...or does God know the future because He has planned it down to the smallest detail...even the choices that people will "freely" make?

In my journey with the Lord...I began understanding the Lord's predestination more in the first definition...God already saw what was going to happen and made His choices from certain foresight that He glimpsed from eternity.

...as the years have gone on...I have moved into the second definition...even though my mind cannot fully grasp how God does it.

God knows the future because He plans it...and because God can do many things that I cannot...it doesn't shock me that He can predestine or preplan history...without taking away from man's freedom of the choices that he will make...

...more on this later...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dale,

You wrote, "God knows the future because He plans it...and because God can do many things that I cannot...it doesn't shock me that He can predestine or preplan history...without taking away from man's freedom of the choices that he will make..."

I think that's an interesting way to look at it! I've had a similar view as well, for many years. I believe that God has a plan set in motion that will not change - and yet - I believe God does grant us freedom of choice - [freedom to have 'free will.'] Just because *He* knows what we will choose [before we ourselves know...] does not mean that we have had free will taken away from us. I believe that free will is alive and well. Just as God himself is. I recall a debate some of the Jr. high students had with our religion teacher back in the early 80's... some students believed in free will, and others clearly didn't. But in any event, our teacher made us all think about it. He was a cool teacher to get us to reflect on that at such a young age. Those are the types of messages I held more dear to my heart than having learned about 'polynomials' in math, LOL.

Take care, and keep writing! :) Have a nice summer.

E.S.

10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi E,

This is a very important teaching...and it is good that we understand it rightly...it is also a very difficult teaching...but the gospel of God's free grace rests firmly upon it. God bless you and your family.

5:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dale,
Thanks for your reply. :)
It's a weird feeling, to realize that God knows us better than we know ourselves. What I mean by that is that even though we all have choices to make in life - [we try our best to make the right choice] - in the end, God always knows what choices we will select. Too bad He doesn't let us know beforehand what our choice(s) will be, so we don't always have to go through all of that tough decision-making. ;) I know though, that God's free grace would never allow for us to know that in advance; it is truly our own decisions and life choices that we make, on our own, (and yet, with God's help, if we so need it.) I can only pray that some of the choices in life that I make are good ones.
Have a great weekend! Enjoy the (finally!) cooler weather. Too bad though it was so rainy, as of late. Not much fun for you!
E.S.

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home