Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Fruit Inspection

Over the last year and a bit, my wife has had some struggles. She has often wondered why it is that some people seem look at the clear evidence and always make the wrong choice.

I have often tried to encourage her by pointing her to what the bible teaches about man...even some in the church. The unbeliever is under a strong form of self deception...he knows the Living and True God and then spends his living hours trying to convince himself against this truth.

The bible warns us not to be simply hearers of God's word, instead we are to be doers. Then the word of God goes on to say that those who hear God's word and do not put to practice what they know are self deceived.

The apostle Paul tells God's people that there is a life long struggle in the life of God's children...this struggle is between the old sinful nature and the new life of God's Spirit.

One of the signs that a person has begun to go back to the ways of the flesh, the ways of their old sinful nature is that they begin to deceive themselves.

Just like the unbeliever who knows God, knows His wrath, knows that one day he will have to face God's wrath, and yet he still chooses the fools errand. He chooses to run and hide from the One who you can run and hide from.

The Christian who begins down this road doesn't outwardly deny God, he still holds God on his lips...in certain environments anyway, but his heart is far from God.

Why is it that some people continue to listen to those who spew forth lies and discord? I believe in some cases it is because they have not been discerning enough to really see the truth. But in many other cases I believe that over longer periods of time these people do see the true colors of those who are lying to them and instead of fleeing from the serpents tongue, they are flattered into continuing in the fellowship of vipers. The Proverbs has strong words for those who listen to lies and those who eagerly listen to spiteful words.

'An evildoer gives heed to false lips; a liar listens eagerly to a spiteful tongue'. Proverbs 17:4

By choosing to listen to the liar and the gossip the ears of the listener are also showing what the listener's heart looks like...black and wicked.

6 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

Dale, I can say that I believe that sometimes these folks you're talking of can deceive such a large group of people for a fair amount of time. But, as time goes on, some of the deceived people will eventually see through the lies, as happened in my case, and its as if the scales have been removed. The only recourse when one realizes that one has been duped is to disassociate oneself from the deceivers. This can be construed as unloving, and even harsh, but the Bible says, "Warn a divisive person once, and then warn him a second time. After that, have nothing to do with him." Titus 3:10

10:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dale, thanks for this. I think one of the hardest things is to really let go once everything has been done and said. So it's good to be reminded of the big picture and the consequences of our actions whether we do or do not let go.

I've taken the liberty of quoting one of your posts, with credit where credit is due, on my facebook. (www.facebook.com) You need to be a member to see the page, but I really hope this will be ok with you. If not I'll take the post down :).

Thanks for your pastoral words.

Hester (and Tym)

7:36 PM  
Blogger Dale Callahan said...

I agree with you Steve...and I do try to be patient with those who still seem to be deceived...because when I look back into my own life I see how I too was very deceived.

One of my greatest temptations was to try to heal the problems I saw...lightly. I spoke into these peoples lives...but always to the degree where I wanted to 'salvage' the friendship or fellowship we had with them.
The day finally came when I knew I had to speak and act in such a way that my motives and the intentions of my heart were clear.
I confronted a certain man and told him that I totally disagreed with his agenda for the church...and once I did this...the friendship ended. Once I made clear that I was not on 'his' bandwagon...all acting ended and I saw the true colors loud and clear.
As hard as this time was I am very thankful that I went through it...as you said...I am glad that the scales have been removed. And I pray that they will be removed from many others as well.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Dale Callahan said...

Hi Hester,

I signed up to be a member of your facebook. You can use my quotes...I trust you.

I am waiting for email conformation and then I will come and check things out in your facebook.

As discouraging as things can seem in life we must never stop interceeding for others...even those who do us wrong and seem to make plans against us. God is the changer of mens hearts.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Mirandyn S. said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Mirandyn S. said...

Hi Dale,
This is what I was trying to say in my last posting that I deleted...
For your wife - Those who try to deny God - have never looked into the faces of their own children.... once you bear a child, you can no longer deceive yourself that there is a God. One God, one Almighty God, who is the Creator of all things. What a sad day when One doesn't acknowledge that the reason for their children is through God. God has a plan for everyone... even those who choose to disbelieve. My life-changing event, when I absolutely knew God exists, [and has always been], was when my son was born 10 years ago. The miracle of birth is just that - a miracle. And those who choose to think it is anything else but a miracle have yet a mile to walk, but they will come to learn that God is there.

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home