Sunday, January 28, 2007

Reformed blahs

Lord please bring change into our lives. The Reformed church has many good strengths but alas we also have our weaknesses.

There is so much to do, and yet the temptation to 'talk about doing' is always standing right next to us.

We read books on hospitality and yet neglect having people into our homes.

We lock ourselves into our rooms and read really good books on reaching out to our cultures and changing them.

We isolate ourselves and read some good books on how to be friendly.

We hang around with our Christian friends and occassionally talk about the importance of evangelism.

Because we keep ourselves busy with always learning about these things we subtly ignore the fact that we never actually put to practice all the great things that we learn.

We aren't hospitable, But we have read 13 books on hospitality...maybe after the 14th book we will find that missing piece to the puzzle that will put a fire under our butts.

We aren't changing our cultures, because we are too busy reading about it.

We really aren't that friendly, unless the objects of our friendship are as mature as us.

We don't evangelize, and don't really care to begin, because that might risk having some pagan come into the church...and hey, they probably won't agree with the confessions right away.

I wonder what would happen if we spent less time with our faces in the books and more time practicing the volumes we already have read?

Don't get me wrong, I believe we need to study, but not study for study sake.

2 Comments:

Blogger Aaron Sheppard said...

AMEN AMEN AMEN!!!

8:40 AM  
Blogger Aaron Sheppard said...

AMEN, AMEN & AMEN!

Hey Bro,

I really think I want to write a book on this topic. (I am totally serious!)

I hope it will be a good book and one that calls people to read it and get loving the world, not the 14th.

And you know what, I truly think that you Reformers get a bad wrap! I have been in the Evangelical world for a long time, and they give great lip service but really act.

I had proposed an idea at one of my planning sessions for youth, that we should do a Christmas "Service". Meaning, as opposed to doing a little youth service within our little church, we should do our out reach best.

I said who was the group that we would least think of on Decemebr 23 or 24th? Cause usually during that time we are stuck in nice cozy homes, drinknig our nice cozy eggnogg, eating our nice cozy meals and snacks with our Christian friends and families. Yet we have a huge need out there and an opportunity to really make a difference to just "care" for lost brothers.

I suggested teh following:

1) We gather our youth and head down to Rotary Park (High Homeless Populations frequent there)

2) We buy a bunch of turkeys and deep fry them (Sounds gross but it is amazingly good, can do a turkey in 20 minutes)

3) Put up a big sheet and play a Christmas movie with speakers.

4) Hand out food and drinks to those who won't be going home that night.

How hard would that have been? And it would have changed the perception of the "Church" in our communities.

Guess what the answer was that I was given?

"Well Aaron I think that is a great idea, I just don't think that our youth are READY for that yet."

"That can be pretty traumatizing to see for a young person."

My jaw hit the floor bro!I couldn't believe I was hearing that.

How hard is it to hand out a freaking bun with some turkey on it and watch a movie out doors?!?!

So we must call the real "Church" to get off teh bench and start caring. Through caring, we will be given opportunities to call! And through calling, God will bring new brothers home! And that my friend, is what we are called to do.

Care and Call .... they aren't exculsive to one another.

Blessings & Peace,


Aaron

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home