Friday, December 16, 2005

Defending the Faith

When I share the good news, the gospel, I realize that the truth of the Christian faith is objective. What I mean by this is the truth of God's Word is true whether
someone "subjectively believes and acts upon it or not.

But a part of God's revelation, a part of this "objective truth" is that God is "beauty", "goodness", "love", "patience", "merciful", "holy", and those in whom God brings into His family will also begin to take on His family traits, and resemble their Father.

Knowing the truth and speaking the truth need to be backed up by loving and living the truth.

If I want to teach people about Jesus great love for sinners then I need to begin to love sinners, while I share of Jesus love for them with my mouth.

I can have a 32 lesson course on God the Father's and Christ's love for His people, with all the right words, but if I haven't learned how to sacrificially give myself for my wife and children, then for those who know me [wife and children especially], my words will be like a clanging gong.

I believe that many people reject the "doctrines of grace" because they do observe the "grace" aspect in the ones who present it...just blah, blah, blah doctrine.

God humble us and help us to understand that knowing and doing are two different things.

I want to be able to be a defender of the Christian faith, but not just with my words...I want people to see in my life that I have a hope within me.

When they see how I love my wife and children, how I act at work, at play...I want them to see the beauty and love of God.

And these things can not be "faked", not for the long haul anyway.

A man who neglects his wife and children will not be able to hide this truth from the world around him. He may be able to fool himself, but not others.

May we be doers of the word and not merely hearers, deceiving ourselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home