Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Where Did The Years Go?

I have been a Christian for 18 years now...

...I am not sure of the exact day...but the day I first cried up to Jesus to save me and change me was somewhere in the first week of Jan, 1991...wow!

Jesus, in His unending love and mercy drew me to Himself, showed me that my radical self-centeredness was never going to produce the joy and contentment that it promised, and at the very same time, revealed to Me His love, forgiveness and beauty.

Jesus pulled me out of the darkness that surrounded me, the darkness that had penetrated my heart to its very depths...and He opened my spiritual eyes so that I could see Him for who He really was...The One and Only God come in human nature to save those who could never save themselves.

It was pretty early on in my walk with Jesus that I found myself in roles where I was ministering and teaching others about God's amazing grace.

God tells us in His word that not many should desire to be teachers...for they will receive a more strict judgment...it is truly humbling to be called into a place where you proclaim to others the words that come from God.

It is humbling...because you know that you still struggle with pride, with various lusts, with coldness of heart towards the Saviour...

But it is this on-going battle that should continually drive the Christian back to Jesus and His amazing grace...

Each year I am reminded [by my own sin] that I need Jesus just as much now...as when I first met Him 18 years ago.

Has my life changed? Yes, very much so.

Jesus, by His Spirit, began a work in me 18 years ago, where He has been shaping and molding me more and more into His image...He has given me His strength to overcome sins that I couldn't overcome on my own.

But if you were ever to ask me...that even in my best moments...if I would want the High and Exalted God...the Holy One...to judge me according to my thoughts, motives, words and deeds...I would quickly decline.

My only hope is Jesus! Only Jesus loved God with all His heart, soul, strength and mind, and only Jesus perfectly loved His neighbor [us] as Himself...

Because Jesus is the One and Only God...become man.

As God the Son, Jesus knows what it is to love God with all of heart, soul and mind and strength...because He has been loving God the Father, and God the Holy Spirit perfectly for all eternity...

And only Jesus truly loved His neighbor as Himself...because even though He had no obligation to save us...He chose to leave heaven...and to come to earth to save us.

...Jesus never sinned...Jesus died because we continually sin...Jesus is our only hope.

...Jesus rose from the grave...proclaiming that His sacrifice for our sins [His death on the cross] was received and accepted by God the Father...

...and that all those who come to Jesus, seeking forgiveness and new life...will receive this forgiveness...will receive new life...will receive eternal life!


...Even after 18 years...there just isn't a better story in town.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home